- Afghan women law students set to return; one is chosen for commencement ... - 89.3 KPCC
- Tue, 21 May 2013 13:13:18 GMT - Afghan women law students set to return; one is chosen for commencement ...
The words of Munira Akhunzada echoed off the football stadium walls, louder than the soft-spoken young Afghan woman has ever spoken. “The person who goes furthest is generally the one who is willing to do and dare,” she said. “This is the challenge ...
- Incarcerating Afghan women for 'moral crimes is unjust says Human Rights Watch - WNN - Women News Network
- Thu, 23 May 2013 22:59:23 GMT -
WNN - Women News NetworkIncarcerating Afghan women for 'moral crimes is unjust says Human Rights Watch
WNN - Women News Network
Statistics from Afghanistan's Interior Ministry indicate that the number of women and girls imprisoned for “moral crimes” in Afghanistan had risen to about 600 in May 2013 from 400 in October 2011 – a 50 percent increase in a year and a half. Since ...
Afghan Parliament: It's Against Sharia Law to Outlaw Beating Women
Care2.com (blog) all 2 news articles »
- Law Protecting Afghanistan Women Blocked By Conservatives - Huffington Post
- Sat, 18 May 2013 12:42:09 GMT -
Yahoo! NewsLaw Protecting Afghanistan Women Blocked By Conservatives
More freedoms for women are one of the most visible – and symbolic – changes in Afghanistan since the 2001 U.S.-led campaign that toppled the Taliban regime. While in power, the Taliban imposed a strict interpretation of Islam that put severe curbs on ...
Worrying Signs Afghan Women's Rights Will Slip After US Departure
Afghan parliament fails to pass divisive women's law
Women's rights legislation is stymied in Afghanistan
Boston Globe WNN - Women News Network- Onislam.net all 50 news articles »
- Afghanistan After America: Severely Hazardous to Women and Children - TakePart
- Tue, 21 May 2013 19:12:20 GMT -
spyghana.comAfghanistan After America: Severely Hazardous to Women and Children
An Afghan woman wearing a burqa holds her child as she walks along a street on the outskirts of Kabul—under full protection of U.S.-allied forces. (Photo: Omar Sobhani/Reuters). Last February, on the eve of her departure from the Obama administration, ...
Jailing of Afghan women rises sharply
Sharp rise in number Afghan women in prison for "moral crimes"
Afghanistan must make efforts to ratify the law to protect women
spyghana.com KMBZ- Stars and Stripes- Telegraph.co.uk all 152 news articles »
- Effort to Strengthen an Afghan Law on Women May Backfire - New York Times
- Sat, 18 May 2013 19:10:28 GMT - Effort to Strengthen an Afghan Law on Women May Backfire
New York Times
KABUL, Afghanistan — Even with some legal protections in place, Afghan women, and sometimes even little girls, can be sold to pay family debts. In the country's vast rural areas, just talking to a man who is not a close relative can be punishable by ...
- Afghan Women's Cycling Team Is Working All Gears - Green Prophet
- Mon, 20 May 2013 13:40:39 GMT -
Green ProphetAfghan Women's Cycling Team Is Working All Gears
Bike riding is taboo for Afghan women, considered a marker of promiscuity and ranking on the cultural offenses index somewhere between driving and being spotted with an unrelated man. That belief eliminates a sustainable means of travel and undermines ...
- Afghan lawmakers block law on women's rights - KSN-TV
- Sat, 18 May 2013 22:03:43 GMT - Afghan lawmakers block law on women's rights
FILE - In this Wednesday, May 15, 2012 file photo, an Afghan woman harvests wheat on the outskirts of Kabul, Afghanistan. Conservative religious lawmakers in Afghanistan blocked a law on Saturday, May 18, 2013 that aims to protect women's freedoms, ...
- Afghan woman recounts how US soldier killed her husband in rampage - Vancouver Sun
- Thu, 16 May 2013 19:47:26 GMT -
Vancouver SunAfghan woman recounts how US soldier killed her husband in rampage
KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - Sitting on a dirty straw mat on the parched ground of southern Afghanistan, Masooma sank deeper inside a giant black shawl. Hidden from view, her words burst forth as she told her side of what happened to her family sometime ...
and more »
- Aesha's progress: Afghan woman's nose nearly complete - CNN
- Fri, 10 May 2013 15:40:24 GMT - Aesha's progress: Afghan woman's nose nearly complete
Frederick, Maryland (CNN) -- In front of a mirror, Aesha Mohammadzai sees what is possible. There, in the center of her face, is a nearly complete piece of herself -- a piece she's been missing since the day she was mutilated nearly four years ago.
and more »
- Conservative Afghan lawmakers block legislation protecting women's rights - Newser
- Sat, 18 May 2013 14:11:43 GMT - Conservative Afghan lawmakers block legislation protecting women's rights
FILE - In this Thursday, April 11, 2013 file photo, an Afghan woman peers through the the eye slit of her burqa as she waits to try on a new burqa in shop in the old town of Kabul, Afghanistan. Conservative... (Associated Press) ...